My open source work is supported by the community
Special thanks to:
All your environment variables, in one place
Stop struggling with scattered API keys, hacking together home-brewed tools,
Your app, enterprise-ready.
and avoiding access controls. Keep your team and servers in sync with Doppler.
Start selling to enterprise customers with just a few lines of code.
Strapi is the leading open-source headless CMS.
Add Single Sign-On (and more) in minutes instead of months.
Founded in 2018, OSS Capital is the first and only venture capital platform focused
Instant, shareable cloud PostgreSQL database
exclusively on supporting early-stage COSS (commercial open source) startup founders.
Import any dataset in seconds, share with anyone with a click, try without signing up
What is an awesome list?
Creating a list
Stickers & t-shirts
awesome.re to go here. Check out my blog and follow me on Twitter.
- Frontend Development
- iOS - Mobile operating system for Apple phones and tablets.
- Android - Mobile operating system developed by Google.
- IoT & Hybrid Apps
- Xamarin - Mobile app development IDE, testing, and distribution.
- eBPF - Virtual machine that allows you to write more efficient and powerful tracing and monitoring for Linux systems.
- Arch-based Projects - Linux distributions and projects based on Arch Linux.
- macOS - Operating system for Apple's Mac computers.
- watchOS - Operating system for the Apple Watch.
- Amazon Web Services
- IPFS - P2P hypermedia protocol.
- Fuse - Mobile development tools.
- Heroku - Cloud platform as a service.
- Raspberry Pi - Credit card-sized computer aimed at teaching kids programming, but capable of a lot more.
- Qt - Cross-platform GUI app framework.
- WebExtensions - Cross-browser extension system.
- RubyMotion - Write cross-platform native apps for iOS, Android, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS in Ruby.
- Smart TV - Create apps for different TV platforms.
- GNOME - Simple and distraction-free desktop environment for Linux.
- KDE - A free software community dedicated to creating an open and user-friendly computing experience.
- Roslyn - Open-source compilers and code analysis APIs for C# and VB.NET languages.
- Amazon Alexa - Virtual home assistant.
- DigitalOcean - Cloud computing platform designed for developers.
- Flutter - Google's mobile SDK for building native iOS and Android apps from a single codebase written in Dart.
- Home Assistant - Open source home automation that puts local control and privacy first.
- IBM Cloud - Cloud platform for developers and companies.
- Firebase - App development platform built on Google Cloud Platform.
- Robot Operating System 2.0 - Set of software libraries and tools that help you build robot apps.
- Adafruit IO - Visualize and store data from any device.
- Cloudflare - CDN, DNS, DDoS protection, and security for your site.
- Actions on Google - Developer platform for Google Assistant.
- ESP - Low-cost microcontrollers with WiFi and broad IoT applications.
- DOS - Operating system for x86-based personal computers that was popular during the 1980s and early 1990s.
- Nix - Package manager for Linux and other Unix systems that makes package management reliable and reproducible.
- Swift - Apple's compiled programming language that is secure, modern, programmer-friendly, and fast.
- Python - General-purpose programming language designed for readability.
- Asyncio - Asynchronous I/O in Python 3.
- Scientific Audio - Scientific research in audio/music.
- CircuitPython - A version of Python for microcontrollers.
- Data Science - Data analysis and machine learning.
- Typing - Optional static typing for Python.
- MicroPython - A lean and efficient implementation of Python 3 for microcontrollers.
- Scala Native - Optimizing ahead-of-time compiler for Scala based on LLVM.
- Julia - High-level dynamic programming language designed to address the needs of high-performance numerical analysis and computational science.
- C/C++ - General-purpose language with a bias toward system programming and embedded, resource-constrained software.
- R - Functional programming language and environment for statistical computing and graphics.
- Common Lisp - Powerful dynamic multiparadigm language that facilitates iterative and interactive development.
- Java - Popular secure object-oriented language designed for flexibility to "write once, run anywhere".
- PHP - Server-side scripting language.
- Frege - Haskell for the JVM.
- CMake - Build, test, and package software.
- ActionScript 3 - Object-oriented language targeting Adobe AIR.
- Eta - Functional programming language for the JVM.
- Idris - General purpose pure functional programming language with dependent types influenced by Haskell and ML.
- Ada/SPARK - Modern programming language designed for large, long-lived apps where reliability and efficiency are essential.
- Q# - Domain-specific programming language used for expressing quantum algorithms.
- Vala - Programming language designed to take full advantage of the GLib and GNOME ecosystems, while preserving the speed of C code.
- Coq - Formal language and environment for programming and specification which facilitates interactive development of machine-checked proofs.
- V - Simple, fast, safe, compiled language for developing maintainable software.
- Big Data
- Public Datasets
- Hadoop - Framework for distributed storage and processing of very large data sets.
- Data Engineering
- Apache Spark - Unified engine for large-scale data processing.
- Qlik - Business intelligence platform for data visualization, analytics, and reporting apps.
- Splunk - Platform for searching, monitoring, and analyzing structured and unstructured machine-generated big data in real-time.
- MongoDB - NoSQL database.
- TinkerPop - Graph computing framework.
- PostgreSQL - Object-relational database.
- CouchDB - Document-oriented NoSQL database.
- HBase - Distributed, scalable, big data store.
- NoSQL Guides - Help on using non-relational, distributed, open-source, and horizontally scalable databases.
- Contexture - Abstracts queries/filters and results/aggregations from different backing data stores like ElasticSearch and MongoDB.
- Database Tools - Everything that makes working with databases easier.
- Grakn - Logical database to organize large and complex networks of data as one body of knowledge.
- Cassandra - Open-source, distributed, wide column store, NoSQL database management system.
Content Management Systems
- Refinery CMS - Ruby on Rails CMS.
- Wagtail - Django CMS focused on flexibility and user experience.
- Textpattern - Lightweight PHP-based CMS.
- Drupal - Extensible PHP-based CMS.
- Craft CMS - Content-first CMS.
- Sitecore - .NET digital marketing platform that combines CMS with tools for managing multiple websites.
- Silverstripe CMS - PHP MVC framework that serves as a classic or headless CMS.
- Bitcoin - Bitcoin services and tools for software developers.
- Ripple - Open source distributed settlement network.
- Non-Financial Blockchain - Non-financial blockchain applications.
- Mastodon - Open source decentralized microblogging network.
- Ethereum - Distributed computing platform for smart contract development.
- Blockchain AI - Blockchain projects for artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- EOSIO - A decentralized operating system supporting industrial-scale apps.
- Corda - Open source blockchain platform designed for business.
- Waves - Open source blockchain platform and development toolset for Web 3.0 apps and decentralized solutions.
- Substrate - Framework for writing scalable, upgradeable blockchains in Rust.
- Computational Neuroscience - A multidisciplinary science which uses computational approaches to study the nervous system.
- Digital History - Computer-aided scientific investigation of history.
- Scientific Writing - Distraction-free scientific writing with Markdown, reStructuredText and Jupyter notebooks.
- Testing - Software testing.
- Visual Regression Testing - Ensures changes did not break the functionality or style.
- Selenium - Open-source browser automation framework and ecosystem.
- Appium - Test automation tool for apps.
- TAP - Test Anything Protocol.
- JMeter - Load testing and performance measurement tool.
- k6 - Open-source, developer-centric performance monitoring and load testing solution.
- Playwright - Node.js library to automate Chromium, Firefox and WebKit with a single API.
- Quality Assurance Roadmap - How to start & build a career in software testing.
- JSON - Text based data interchange format.
- CSV - A text file format that stores tabular data and uses a comma to separate values.
- Discounts for Student Developers
- Awesome - Recursion illustrated.
- Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Services Engineering
- Free for Developers
- Answers - Stack Overflow, Quora, etc.
- Sketch - Design app for macOS.
- Boilerplate Projects
- Design and Development Guides
- Software Engineering Blogs
- Self Hosted
- FOSS Production Apps
- Gulp - Task runner.
- AMA - Ask Me Anything.
- Open Source Photography
- OpenGL - Cross-platform API for rendering 2D and 3D graphics.
- Urban & Regional Planning - Concerning the built environment and communities.
- Research Tools
- Data Visualization
- Social Media Share Links
- Unicode - Unicode standards, quirks, packages and resources.
- Beginner-Friendly Projects
- Tools for Activism
- Citizen Science - For community-based and non-institutional scientists.
- MQTT - "Internet of Things" connectivity protocol.
- Hacking Spots
- For Girls
- Vorpal - Node.js CLI framework.
- Vulkan - Low-overhead, cross-platform 3D graphics and compute API.
- LaTeX - Typesetting language.
- Economics - An economist's starter kit.
- Funny Markov Chains
- Cheminformatics - Informatics techniques applied to problems in chemistry.
- Colorful - Choose your next color scheme.
- Steam - Digital distribution platform.
- Bots - Building bots.
- Site Reliability Engineering
- Empathy in Engineering - Building and promoting more compassionate engineering cultures.
- DTrace - Dynamic tracing framework.
- Userscripts - Enhance your browsing experience.
- Pokémon - Pokémon and Pokémon GO.
- ChatOps - Managing technical and business operations through a chat.
- Falsehood - Falsehoods programmers believe in.
- Domain-Driven Design - Software development approach for complex needs by connecting the implementation to an evolving model.
- Quantified Self - Self-tracking through technology.
- SaltStack - Python-based config management system.
- Web Design - For digital designers.
- Creative Coding - Programming something expressive instead of something functional.
- No-Login Web Apps - Web apps that work without login.
- Free Software - Free as in freedom.
- Framer - Prototyping interactive UI designs.
- Markdown - Markup language.
- Dev Fun - Funny developer projects.
- Healthcare - Open source healthcare software for facilities, providers, developers, policy experts, and researchers.
- Magento 2 - Open Source eCommerce built with PHP.
- TikZ - Graph drawing packages for TeX/LaTeX/ConTeXt.
- Neuroscience - Study of the nervous system and brain.
- Ad-Free - Ad-free alternatives.
- Esolangs - Programming languages designed for experimentation or as jokes rather than actual use.
- Prometheus - Open-source monitoring system.
- Homematic - Smart home devices.
- Ledger - Double-entry accounting on the command-line.
- Web Monetization - A free open web standard service that allows you to send money directly in your browser.
- Uncopyright - Public domain works.
- Crypto Currency Tools & Algorithms - Digital currency where encryption is used to regulate the generation of units and verify transfers.
- Diversity - Creating a more inclusive and diverse tech community.
- Open Source Supporters - Companies that offer their tools and services for free to open source projects.
- Design Principles - Create better and more consistent designs and experiences.
- Theravada - Teachings from the Theravada Buddhist tradition.
- inspectIT - Open source Java app performance management tool.
- Open Source Maintainers - The experience of being an open source maintainer.
- Calculators - Calculators for every platform.
- Captcha - A type of challenge–response test used in computing to determine whether or not the user is human.
- Jupyter - Create and share documents that contain code, equations, visualizations and narrative text.
- FIRST Robotics Competition - International high school robotics championship.
- Humane Technology - Open source projects that help improve society.
- Speakers - Conference and meetup speakers in the programming and design community.
- Board Games - Table-top gaming fun for all.
- Software Patreons - Fund individual programmers or the development of open source projects.
- Parasite - Parasites and host-pathogen interactions.
- Food - Food-related projects on GitHub.
- Mental Health - Mental health awareness and self-care in the software industry.
- Bitcoin Payment Processors - Start accepting Bitcoin.
- Scientific Computing - Solving complex scientific problems using computers.
- Amazon Sellers
- Agriculture - Open source technology for farming and gardening.
- Product Design - Design a product from the initial concept to production.
- Prisma - Turn your database into a GraphQL API.
- Software Architecture - The discipline of designing and building software.
- Connectivity Data and Reports - Better understand who has access to telecommunication and internet infrastructure and on what terms.
- Stacks - Tech stacks for building different apps and features.
- Cytodata - Image-based profiling of biological phenotypes for computational biologists.
- IRC - Open source messaging protocol.
- Advertising - Advertising and programmatic media for websites.
- Earth - Find ways to resolve the climate crisis.
- Naming - Naming things in computer science done right.
- Biomedical Information Extraction - How to extract information from unstructured biomedical data and text.
- Web Archiving - An effort to preserve the Web for future generations.
- WP-CLI - Command-line interface for WordPress.
- Credit Modeling - Methods for classifying credit applicants into risk classes.
- Ansible - A Python-based, open source IT configuration management and automation platform.
- Biological Visualizations - Interactive visualization of biological data on the web.
- QR Code - A type of matrix barcode that can be used to store and share a small amount of information.
- Veganism - Making the plant-based lifestyle easy and accessible.
- Translations - The transfer of the meaning of a text from one language to another.